- 1-1/2 cup Mixed millets , (mix of foxtail and kodo millet in equal parts)
- 1 Saunf , crushed
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes , chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Methi Seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- Salt , to taste
- To begin making the Mixed Millet Khichdi, first measure out one cup of mixed millets, wash it thoroughly and leave it in a colander or fine-meshed sieve to drain.
- In a pressure cooker, the warm the ghee in a pressure cooker on medium heat. To it, add the asafoetida and cumin seeds and allow it to crackle for a few seconds.
- Once the cumin seeds crackle, add in the chopped onions and saute until they have softened and turned translucent.
- Once the onions have softened, add in the chopped tomatoes and cook them until soft.
- At this stage, add the salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder and crushed saunf. Continue to saute for another 2-3 minutes till the masalas get well combined.
- Finally, add in the washed and drained millets to the cooker, saute for a minute. Add 5 cups of water, cover the pressure cooker and cook until you hear 2 to 3 whistles. After 2 to 3 whistles, turn the heat to low and simmer for about 3 to 4 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and give the Mixed Millet Khichdi a good stir. Check the salt and adjust to suit your taste.